MPFC Educational Portfolio
The repeal of the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy was not accompanied by any guidance as to how this change would affect military culture and LGB service members and veterans, or the professionals who will work with them.
Why it is vital for MPFC to provide LGBT Cultural Competency Training? The MPFC Community Survey (2011-2012) showed that over half of the respondents agree that coming out would put them and members of their family at risk for negative reactions within the military community, even though Don’t Ask Don’t Tell has been repealed.
Participants will be able to:
- Explain the history of the DADT policy and current status of open service and benefits.
- Recognize some real-life impacts of the policy and after effects.
- Identify commonly used terminology regarding the LGBT community.
- Describe the role a supportive environment can play in the success of service members.
- Develop multiple ways of accessing attendees’ skills and strengths to create an inclusive environment.
Trainings are Individually Tailored for the Audience:
- LGBT Cultural Competence for Emerging Military Leaders
- LGBT Cultural Competence for Senior Military Leaders
- LGBT Military Cultural Competence for Mental Health Providers
- LGBT Military Cultural Competence for Health Care Providers
Past MPFC LGBT Cultural Competency training audiences:
- Senior Military and Civilian Leaders at the Pentagon
- ROTC (Western Michigan University)
- National Military Family Association Executives
- American Red Cross*
- Georgia Dept. of Behavioral Health Services
- DoD Pentagon Employees Diversity Brown Bag
- National Association of Social Workers
- Veterans Administrations (regional offices and headquarter)
- Center for Deployment Psychology*
* This project has been funded in whole or in part with Federal funds from the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, under Contract No. HHS-N-276-2011-00004-C with the University of Maryland Baltimore.
How to bring MPFC LGBT Cultural Competency training to your organization:
If you are interested in hearing more about our educational portfolio and how it can meet the needs of your organization, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org